Kaplan International Colleges offers university preparation in partnership with leading universities in Nottingham, Sheffield, Liverpool, Glasgow, Brighton, Bournemouth, Bristol and London, allowing international students to progress onto a wide range of degree programmes at these partner institutions. In addition to first-rate teaching and excellent study facilities, KIC programmes offer a high level of personal support as well as access to the facilities and resources of our university partners.KIC is also operating a partnership academy, in the United Arab Emirates, preparing students for entry to higher education programmes.
Koya University in Kurdistan has established the Koya University English Language Centre (KUELC) in partnership with the Kaplan International Colleges. KUELC will provide instruction to students who need to improve their English language skills before beginning post graduate courses in the UK, US or other English speaking countries. Delivery commences October 2013 for up to 150 eligible scholars. In addition to the IELTS and TOEFL preparation programmes KUELC will expand in subsequent years to offer an additional range of courses to individuals who are not seeking academic future but who want to improve their English skills for personal and professional reasons.
Koya University is located in the mountainside town of Koya, around 45 minutes outside Erbil (Hewlêr), capital of Kurdistan Region. Established in 2003 the University has undergone major expansion and now includes 4 faculties, with 34 departments in differing fields. The University offers some unique subjects in the region, such as Petroleum Engineering, Geotechnics Engineering, Clinical Psychology and Biochemistry. Koya has over 4300 students (under graduate and post graduate) and a faculty of 600 (full and part time).
Kaplan International Colleges is seeking experienced English Teachers to be based at Koya University, Kurdistan. Successful candidates will be responsible for the delivery of modules in English language and academic skills for students who need a solid foundation in English and academic skills which will allow students to progress overseas to pursue post-graduate study.
The positions are best suited to experienced and self-reliant teachers who are willing to contribute to a start-up project and work as part of a small team.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- CELTA (or equivalent) with 5 years recent teaching experience or DELTA (or equivalent) + 3 years (recent) teaching experience
- CELTA (or equivalent) qualified candidates with a degree in English Language and Literature/TESOL/Linguistics/Education/Modern Languages may be considered with only 3 years teaching experience
- Experience of teaching EAP and IELTS/TOEFL preparation
- Competence in teaching and administrative IT skills (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail, etc)
- Ability to develop and update teaching material
- Strong record-keeping skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines
- Enthusiasm and high degree of motivation
- Experience of using a Virtual Learning Environment to support student learning
- Native or near native speaker of English.
- Masters degree in English Language and Literature/TESOL/Linguistics/Education/Modern Languages
- Experience of teaching English in a Higher Education context
- IELTS examiner experience.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Teaching English language, IELTS Preparation and Academic Skills modules to (normal teaching load is between 25 and 28 hours per week)
- Assisting with module examinations and other forms of formative and summative assessment, delivery, marketing and provision of feedback to students
- Providing academic leadership, management and coordination for a designated number of modules in the role of “Module Coordinator”
- Contributing to the development of supplementary teaching material for modules delivered on programmes
- Providing input for related modules to the annual review and reporting process
- Providing tutorial support to small groups of students
- Maintaining an accurate and up-to-date record of student attendance and performance
- Organising, accompanying and supervising students on field trips where required
- Promoting student development through the use of technology-based learning
- Participating in the development and organization of student projects within class, courses and programs
- Attending designated meetings, workshops, assessment and marking sessions and conferences as part of your duties
- Participating in student recruitment, registration, induction and placement activities
- Participating in cover schedule to substitute for colleagues absent from work
- Participating in campus and community events.
- Free staff accommodation provided on-campus (including all bills)
- Medical insurance
- Annual return air tickets (London-Erbil).
Please apply via ouronline application formwith your CV and covering letter highlighting why you believe you are suitable for this role.
Closing date:Friday 2 August 2013