English Teacher at Safe Passage
Safe Passage / Camino Seguro
Safe Passage, a 501(C)3 non-profit development-focused organization, is seeking an exceptional new English Teacher to join our English Department team. Known in Guatemala as Camino Seguro, Safe Passage’s mission is to empower the at-risk children and families who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community by creating opportunity and fostering dignity through the power of education. Safe Passage is a secular, non-political organization.
Safe Passage provides school fees, educational reinforcement, and nutrition to children contending with extreme poverty. Today Safe Passage serves approximately 550 children and their families with an integrated program that incorporates healthy living, strong academics, life skills, creativity and fun.
At Safe Passage, we believe every child should have the opportunity to receive an education. Our programs are designed so that each child gains the skills needed to obtain a stable job, to be self-sufficient and self-reliant, and to lead their families out of poverty in a dignified and permanent way.
Safe Passage has more than 100 dedicated staff in Guatemala and a small office in Yarmouth, Maine. At any one time there are more than 40 volunteers from a dozen countries working in the program. Each year, as many as 20 service teams spend a week with Safe Passage, and over a thousand Guatemalan and international visitors come to observe the program. Most importantly, Safe Passage is well-known and well-respected within the community for our methodology of working with, not for, the community.
The mission of the English Department is to equip students with the English language skills necessary to attend university and secure jobs in fields requiring English, which can pay as much as ten times more than working in the dump, and offer benefits such as healthcare and tuition reimbursement.
The English Teacher has overall responsibility for teaching English content while nurturing a safe and empowering classroom environment for all of their classes. This position is located in the Educational Reinforcement Center, and will work with school age students, as well as support adult learning. The English Teacher will:
• Lead and manage English classes. Teach five to six 30-minute English classes per day for students. Create lesson plans based on online curriculum and activities books. Coordinate involvement of classroom teacher and classroom volunteer in English class activities.
• Commit to the mission and contribute to the quality and effectiveness of the English program. Collaborate with the Program Coordinator in strategic planning, and in assuring program efficacy. Implement student assessments and program evaluation and provide relevant information to the Program Coordinator. Propose ideas for program improvement, and work with the Coordinator to enhance the quality of integrated programs in the spirit of empowering Safe Passage youth.
• Support adult tutoring. Tutor teachers, staff and parents one-on-one or in small groups as needed.
• Keep it fun and creative. Be innovative and creative in engaging and motivating students.
• Passion for Safe Passage’s mission, commitment to service and ability to engage children, families, staff and volunteers;
• Understanding of teaching methodologies with at-risk, low-income student populations and experience teaching these populations;
• Experience teaching ESL, especially to school-aged students;
• English fluency and at least a beginner level of Spanish (Spanish proficiency preferred);
• Cultural sensitivity, ability to connect across cultural and linguistic divides;
• Strong interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence;
• Patience and perseverance;
• Strong organizational skills and self-direction;
• Experience living or working in Guatemala or other developing nation (preferred)
• Opportunity to work with and learn about an incredible population while gaining professional experience
• $150 USD/mo housing allowance for a commitment of 6 months or more
• Curriculum provided
• Paid prep time
• Free day-long departmental professional development trainings once per month
• Free transportation to the project
• Breakfast, lunch, and snack at the project
• Volunteer appreciation events
• Organizational and departmental culture of friendly, supportive relationships
• Paid sick leave
• 5 paid vacation days per 6-month period
• One month paid vacation during school break (Dec-Jan)
• Paid Guatemalan national holidays
English teachers are required to make a minimum three month commitment. A housing allowance of $150 USD per month is available for English teachers who commit to six months. For more information, please seehttp://www.safepassage.org.
Please note: All recruitment of volunteers is handled through the Volunteers Office so please send a cover letter, resume, and completed application (found online) firstname.lastname@example.org.