Instructor, Preparatory Year Program (PYP) - Jazan, KSA
Notice of Job Competition
Job Title: Instructor, Preparatory Year Program (PYP)
Department/Campus: Jazan, Saudi Arabia
Reports To: Director, PYP
Starting Salary Range: SAR 14,500 - 15,680 monthly
Algonquin college Jazan also offers a complete range of fringe benefits
Job Posted On: May 5, 2015
Job Posted Until: May 31, 2015
Posting Type: Internal/External
Algonquin College is one of the largest Colleges of Applied Arts and Technology in Canada providing education in business, advanced technologies, skilled trades, health, community studies, hospitality, media, police, and public safety to more than 19,000 full time and 37,000 part time students annually at four campuses in Canada and Saudi Arabia, with a fifth campus in Kuwait scheduled to open in September 2015.
The Jazan, Saudi Arabia campus opened its doors in August 2013 as one of ten (now grown to 37) Colleges of Excellence across the nation. The Colleges of Excellence initiative is part of an ambitious, large-scale plan to upgrade the technical and vocational education and training (TVET) in the Kingdom with an end goal of increasing the employability and productivity of Saudi youth. The Government of Saudi Arabia has identified TVET as the most critical lever for improving the value of human resources in the country, and as such, they have partnered with leading institutions from Canada, the United States, and Europe to bring their expertise in operating the Colleges of Excellence. Algonquin College is proud to have been selected amongst the first wave of providers.
Through all of its offerings, Algonquin College endeavours to realize its mission and vision while staying true to its core values:
To transform hopes and dreams into skills and knowledge, leading to lifelong career success.
To be a global leader in digitally-connected applied education and training.
Caring. Learning. Integrity. Respect.
Achieving these ambitious goals starts with having the right people. As such, Algonquin College looks for employees who:
• Are inspired by the College mission and vision
• Embody the values of caring, learning, integrity and respect
• Are committed to continuously improving their skills
• Are eager to spend time with students inside and outside the classroom
• Share our passion for the use of technology in higher education
• Believe in the concept of giving back to their community
• Are prepared to do anything to support their peers and students
Under the direction of the Director, PYP and reporting to a Course Coordinator, the instructor is responsible for delivering courses within the Preparatory Year Program, designed to equip students with the necessary English, Math, and IT skills for entry into an Algonquin College diploma program. The instructor will facilitate and guide student learning through the creation of an engaging and interactive classroom environment. Further, the instructor will be involved in the college beyond the classroom through student and committee based initiatives. The instructor will engage in continuous learning through professional development, training, workshops and self-directed learning. The instructor will model the college’s core values in all interactions, both within and outside the college.
The key duties and responsibilities, include:
• Providing appropriate and effective instruction in areas of Adult Basic Education
• Supporting broad-based student learning and success
• Using available technology to enhance the presentation of information and to facilitate communication and learning
• Committing to continuous improvement and updating of skills
• Demonstrating strong corporate citizenship and commitment to college and program improvement
To view the full job description, please refer to following link:
• Bachelor’s degree in Education or a related discipline/field; Master’s degree preferred
• Graduate certificate in Teaching English as a Second/Foreign Language (TES/FL): minimum one year program and/or CELTA
• An equivalent combination of education and experience is also acceptable
• Minimum 1 year teaching experience, preferably in a post-secondary setting. Teaching experience in the Middle East is considered an asset
Specialized knowledge areas:
• Demonstrated knowledge of Algonquin College’s preferred teaching competencies as set out in the Professor of the 21st Century framework: http://www.algonquincollege.com/pd/files/2014/08/Prof-21st-C-Full_Version_N ov-2013.pdf?file=2014/08/Prof-21st-C-Full_Version_Nov-2013.pdf
&bull ; Knowledge of active learning methodologies
• Knowledge of curriculum development processes
• Knowledge and ability to teach Adult Basic Education
• Strong cultural awareness and sensitivity
• Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
• Excellent organization, planning, and time management skills
• Ability to work effectively in teams and independently
Languages: English; minimum IELTS score of 7 for non-native speakers; 6.5 for Math and IT only. Arabic is an asset.
Computer Skills/Software: Microsoft Office, LMS, Smart boards, Social Media, Multimedia
Please apply by sending your resume and cover letter to:
Quoting job competition # ACJ-002-15
While we thank all those who apply, only applicants under consideration will be contacted.