2015 Faculty Hiring Position - GYEONGJU UNIVERSITY
Gyeongju University, Gyeongju City, South Korea, seeks dynamic English Speaking Full-Time Faculty for Academic year 2015 to 2016.
1. Contract Period: March 1, 2015 to February 28, 2016, Annual renewal upon evaluation.
2. Position: Assistant Professors teaching credited elective courses, and in some cases content areas
3. Qualification: Ph.D. degree holders with at least 1 year teaching experience or MA degree holders with over 3 years of university experience
Basic teaching load: 12 hours per week (4 courses per semester)
Student Contact/Consulting Hours: 4 hours per week
May use contact hours for English Lounge
Actively support university activities
Monthly faculty activities (dinners, hikes, cultural events, sports, seminars)
Assist in development, or enhancement, of curriculum
Develop your niche to contribute to our community (faculty, students, and/or campus)
5. Salary: Up to 2,400,000 won, depending on relevant teaching experience
6. Overtime Pay (hourly): 30,000 ~ 35,000 Won for special programs, 13,000 ~ 14,000 Won for regular classes
7. Paid Vacation:
Minimum 4 weeks` vacation guaranteed during summer and winter breaks (total 8 weeks)
University will provide either a housing near campus (Option A) or a 300,000 Korean Won monthly housing allowance (Option B)
¡Ø The assistant professor must pay repair charges due to damages caused by his/her careless and all outstanding balances of his/her bills before his/her contract termination.(Option A)
¡Ø If an assistant professor chooses the Option B, Gyeongju University will not provide any accommodation
Shared office with Internet
Medical Insurance & Private School Teachers¡¯ Pension Program
One-Way Air Fare Provided at the time of termination of successful contract (Economy Class & 1,000,000 Won maximum) for overseas hires
University-issued laptop while employed with the university
Shuttle bus provided to and from the university
Opportunities for overseas and domestic travel
Korean language & cultural classes offered
Faculty development activities & research opportunities
Open English Lecture Series to share ideas and knowledge
KTX High Speed Train discounts
Community health center discounts
9. Documents required:
Summary of Research (M.A. or Ph. D)
Cover letter, Curriculum Vitae with recent photo, Copies of Degree(s)/ Certificate(s)
Transcripts (undergraduate and graduate)
Copy of passport (picture page) and foreigner registration card (if you have one)
A letter of release(only for applicants who are currently living in Korea)
Letter(s) of Recommendation
Proof of college/university/public school teaching experience (May be official letters indicating dates employed)
Certificate of No Criminal Record (Apostilled criminal record check required for successful candidates only except for F4 Visa holders)
Original diplomas and sealed transcripts will be required if you are offered a faculty position to process your E-1 Visa
10. Due Date for applications: No later than December 26, 2014. (Earlier applications preferred!) Please send your application packet to the office address below. You can also send the electronic copies of your documents (in pdf, word or jpeg files) to the email listed below.
11. Application Process
First step : Paper Screening via e-mail or mail
Second Step : Interview
(1) Candidates out of Korea : A video interview would be accepted.
(2) Candidates in Korea : A face-to-interview is required
Global Education Center
Taejong-ro 188, Gyeongju, Gyeongbuk
780-712 South Korea
Phone: 82-54-770-4742, 5071, Fax: 82-54-746-5210
Note: Eligible applicants who have submitted copies of required documents will be contacted for an interview.
12. Additional Information about Gyeongju City and Gyeongju University:
Gyeongju University, located in Gyeongju City, has an enrollment of about 5,000 students. Its major emphasis is on fields of study related to tourism; while current recruitment puts more emphasis on international hospitality culinary arts, business administration, and professional English.
Gyeongju City, with a population of about 270,000, is located in the southeastern part of South Korea, about an hour's drive from the cities of Busan and Daegu and about 30 minutes' drive from the cities of Pohang and Ulsan.
Gyeongju was the ancient capital of the Silla (Shilla) Kingdom, a 1,000 year empire that unified the Korean peninsula. This historical city, known as "the museum without walls" with its monuments of Silla's greatness, other objects of artistic and historic interest, and beautiful countryside, is one of the most famous tourist attractions in Korea.