EFL Faculty Positions for Men & Women at Technical & Vocational Training College
EFL Faculty Positions for Men and Women at Technical and Vocational Training Colleges Saudi Arabia
Due to visa requirements, this position is open only to individuals with passports from Australia, Canada, Ireland, South Africa, the United Kingdom, or the United States.
Two kinds of students enroll in INTERLINK programs of the Technical and Vocational Training Corporation, an agency of the Saudi government:
- Graduates of two-year technical training certificate programs, ages 20-25, use INTERLINK learning to obtain their first jobs. Two 5-month programs per year.
- Graduates of high schools, ages 18 - 22, preparing for English-medium degrees at TVTC colleges. One ten-month program.
The position requires EFL teaching that emphasizes whole-student learning. INTERLINK seeks teachers with skills in observation, analysis, prediction, and experimentation. Teachers must be curious, flexible, creative, respectful, sensitive, and humble. Teacher-fronted, content-dominant, and textbook-reliant professionals must demonstrate their readiness, willingness, and ability to change.
INTERLINK Language Centers utilize various curricula for their different programs. Common to all is the centrality of the student; lesson planning that relies on teacher reflection (observation, analysis, action); classroom activities that engage student needs and interests; ongoing learning assessment of student progress and proficiency. Each curriculum helps students to discover key aspects of the language through activities and projects. A curriculum without textbooks affords students the freedom to explore multiple ways of learning and allows students the creativity to develop their own learning materials. Students document their own progress and proficiency in a portfolio. In addition to learning English, students improve their critical thinking skills and develop habits of thought and personal practices required by employers.
Academic & Professional Context
The colleges of technology provide technical training for more than 120,000 Saudis each year. Trainees selected for INTERLINK-s intensive English programs are preparing to enter the Saudi workforce for the first time. Students have training in electrical engineering, auto mechanics, information technology, food safety, computer maintenance, accounting, business administration, fashion design, cosmetology, and many other fields.
Positions are available at 21 colleges in regional capitals: Riyadh, Jeddah, Medina, Dammam, Yanbu, Al-Ahsa, Buraidah, Hail, Tabuk, Al-Baha, Khamis Mushayt, Najran, and Jizan. First-year teaching assignments are not discretionary, but after one year of service teachers may relocate.
- An undergraduate (bachelor-s) degree from an institution recognized by the Saudi Ministry of Higher Education
- No legal judgments against the candidate
- A passport issued by Australia, Canada, Ireland, South Africa, the United Kingdom, or the United States
- A university-accredited, residential TESOL certificate, such as from SIT or the University of Cambridge CELTA
- Two-years ESL or EFL teaching experience with adult learners
- MA in TESOL / Applied Linguistics
- Proficiency in a second language
- Peace Corps or similar full-time, voluntary, humanitarian service
- Three 100-minute classes, five days per week
- Office hours for meetings with students, lesson planning, reviewing student work
- Active participation in site meetings, committees
- Engagement in ongoing professional development
Salary & Benefits
- $38,750 - $47,000 salary per annum, commensurate with experience
- Contract through 2015-16 academic year
- Local holidays and 45 days paid summer vacation, depending on the academic calendar of the institution where the employee is placed. Weekends are included in the 45-day vacation, which is to be taken at the end of the contract.
- Round-trip transportation to and from Saudi Arabia for employee and three dependents
- Local transportation to and from the campus or a transportation allowance (approximately $1,300 for men, $2,100 for women)
- Shared, furnished housing in Riyadh; housing allowance in other locations ($8,000 single; $10,000 family)
- Medical insurance with 10% co-pay
- 5% annual contract completion bonus
- Annual salary increase
To apply, please visit http://appview.interlink.edu and select -TVTC-.