English teachers who can start working as soon as possible in Seoul
We are looking for hourly paid English teachers who can start working as soon as possible in Seoul
* Korean working visas are NOT sponsored (F visa holders preferred)
* University degrees must be from a country where English is the nation's first language.
[Skills & Knowledge & Experience]
ESSENTIAL - Cambridge CELTA / Trinity CertTESOL or equivalent (this must include face-to-face teaching practice)
- High proficiency in English i.e. full mastery of English across all 4 skills equivalent to user (CEFR C2) IELTS Band 8/9 in each of 4 sections of the academic module
- Undergraduate / university degree
2 years full-time experience with a variety of levels including both Adult and Young Learner classes.
Experience in teaching relevant age groups
- Young learners aged 5 to 13 (960+ hours)
- Adults General English 18+ (960+ hours)
- Classroom management
- Course and lesson planning
- Subject knowledge
- Understanding your learners
- Learning technologies
Working with children
- Ability to work in a way that promotes the safety and well-being of children
- Effective communication and engagement with children and their families
- Knowledge and understanding of child development and its impact on learning and behaviour
1. Plan, prepare, and deliver high quality English language teaching that meets the needs of different customer groups taking into account individual learning styles
2. Monitor progress and provide regular feedback to help manage students' performance throughout the course and actively promote learner autonomy
3. Contribute to the development, evaluation, and improvement of English language courses, materials, and related services in order to meet students' needs by actively working as a member of the teaching team
4. Complete teaching related administrative tasks to specified standards
5. Engage in professional development and performance management to ensure quality and high standards in teaching and learning and maintain British Council's position at the forefront of best ELT practices
6. Contribute to the development of lasting, mutually beneficial relationships by enhancing students' understanding of contemporary UK
7. Support local marketing and promotional strategy and assist the teaching centre team in delivering excellent customer service
8. Ensure safeguarding and guidelines are applied and upheld in line with standards and policy for the following areas:
- Child protection
- Equal Opportunity and Diversity
- Health and safety
[Context and Environment]
The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. Through English teaching, we are able to directly impact on individuals’ lives by creating life changing opportunities, breaking down barriers and helping to build trust worldwide.
The English business unit’s goals are to deliver more widespread and better quality English language teaching. The opportunity to do this in Korea is based on the huge demand for English from a hard-working and aspirational audience. In order to achieve our goal, the British Council Korea launched a new product, myClass, as well as the opening of the first myClass dedicated branch in the British Council network in 2014 and the first Young Learner branch in Korea. The next phase of development took place in 2015 with the move into specialisation and the opening of one dedicated Adult Branch and two new dedicated Young Learners Branches.
The British Council Korea currently has two Adults Teaching Centres in Seoul.
The recently opened Euljiro centre is based in the historical centre of Seoul to the north of the Han River. The centre runs a wide range of adult courses throughout the week in its 11 classrooms. The Gangnam centre is based in one of Seoul’s liveliest areas South of the Han River. The centre is a seven classroom operation and specialises in myClass. Across both centres, we currently have more than 2,000 Adults studying with us with more growth planned for the future.
The Young Learners’ operation is based in three locations – a 7-classroom Young Learners Branch in the historical centre of Seoul to the north of the Han river near the Seoul City Hall, and two Young Learner branches to the south of the river: a 7 classroom Young Learners branch in Mokdong and a 7-classroom Young Learners branch in Seocho. We currently have more than 2,300 Young Learners studying with us with growth planned for the future. More information about the courses we offer can be found on our homepage.
[Other important features or requirements of the job]
Our Teaching Centres operate across a seven-day week with classes running between 7am and 10pm. Each class is 90 minutes long and the number of classes you teach will depend on availability.
Adult classes are generally held in the mornings and evenings, with Young Learners studying during the afternoon. Weekends are busy for both Adults and Young Learners and the British Council is in need for hourly paid teachers who will be able to work as per our operational need, typically involving weekend shifts. As the British Council moves towards increased specialisation and dedicated Centres for either Adults or Young Learners, class times are subject to review and could change.
There is a strong teacher development program in place featuring both regular in-house training and external qualifications for Adults (DELTA) and Young Learners (TYLEC). The British Council Korea offers support both financially and non-financially for qualified and suitable teachers who agree to the terms and conditions in place.
UK nationals need to apply for a UK DBS check. Nationals of other countries need to provide an enhanced disclosure from that country. In addition, all new teachers must acquire a police check from their current country of residence.
Closing Date: on-going
Length of contract: 1 year
Required Hours: 12 hours per week (negotiable)
Salary information: KRW 40,000 – 48,500 per hour according to teacher qualification / experience
If interested, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only the shortlisted applicants will be invited to an interview.