Start of Employment: September 1st, 2016
Contract Period: 2 academic years (1 year upon request), renewable upon mutual agreement
- Teach 14 hours per week for two 16 weeks semester (English Conversation Credit Courses with opportunities to teach electives)
- Hold 3 office hours per week
- Attend weekly meetings
- Support departmental development (e.g., committee assignments)
- Participate in curriculum and materials development
- Master's degree in any of the following subjects: TESOL, Applied Linguistics, CALL, and related fields. (An assessment of the candidate's English language proficiency may be required as part of the hiring process.)
- 4 years of documented experience in the field required (Years spent completing study/research/teaching during a graduate degree program will be counted towards those 4 years, e.g., 2 year MA program plus 2 additional years teaching experience, or 1 year MA program plus 3 additional years teaching experience)
* Candidates must have qualified degree in hand at the time of application deadline.
* The applications of those who do not meet these qualifications will not be reviewed.
Hiring Priorities: We are particularly interested in hiring teachers with specialized qualifications and/or experience in CALL, ICC (Intercultural Communication), curriculum development, materials development, and language testing/assessment. Experience with MOODLE is also preferred.
Department: The Institute for Language Education and Research (ILER) provides a variety of language programs to serve the University's English, Korean, Chinese and Japanese learning needs. The ILER has built a qualified, knowledgeable, and supportive faculty where collaboration is valued to design curriculum relevant for our particular students' needs. There are currently 20 full-time faculty positions. We have a dedicated language center building which houses all needed facilities: professors' offices, administration offices, conference hall, conversation classrooms with round tables, etc. The ILER is a developing PLC (Professional Learning Community), focused on modernizing curriculum, expanding opportunities for research and publication, and fostering a spirit of intercultural exchange.
Salary and Benefits:
- 3 million Korean Won (KRW) per month (36,000,000 KRW per year)
- 600,000 KRW annual salary increase upon contract renewal
- Overtime rates range from 30,000~45,000 KRW/hour depending on the program
- 10 million KRW Key Money (loan towards deposit for off-campus housing)
- One-month salary as severance bonus for each successful contract year
- Subsidized public pension premiums
- Subsidized national health insurance
- Supplemental health insurance for disability and hospitalization
- 1 million KRW relocation stipend for candidates residing outside of Korea
- Large office shared with one other professor
- Opportunities to audit university Korean language classes and a 200,000 KRW reimbursement for classes taken outside of university
(We kindly ask you to NOT zip your application materials.)
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Applicant Information Document: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_sdDmCFEYYqc2ljaUtmRGJSTkU/view (Please download the WORD document in the link provided)
- Copies of transcripts
- One letter of recommendation including contact numbers
- Copies of diplomas and teaching certificates (e.g. TESOL/TEFL/TESL/CELTA certificate)
- Certificate of employment or employer¡¯s letter that verifies employment period
How to Apply: Send your email application to email@example.com. Be sure to include your full name in the subject line.
Application Deadline: June 15th, 2016
* Only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interview Date (Tentative): June 28th, 2016 (Video interviews through Skype or Google Hangout will be scheduled for overseas applicants.)
University Homepage: http://www.seoultech.ac.kr
Department Homepage: http://language.seoultech.ac.kr
Department MOODLE Homepage: http://moodle.seoultech.ac.kr
Seoul National University of Science and Technology (SeoulTech) is a public university located in north-east Seoul, on a verdant, spacious 508,690 sq. meter (125 acre) campus which supports a student enrollment of 13,000. While SeoulTech is recognized for our renowned Engineering, Science, and Technology programs, we also have stellar Business and Management programs, including our new College of Techno Business Fusion, a School of Architecture, a college of Humanities and Social Sciences, and a College of Art and Design.
The faculty at the Institute for Language Education and Research (ILER) has been developing an innovative curriculum for the SeoulTech students. They began curriculum development in Fall 2011 to improve the mandatory Practical English Conversation courses. Rather than using a book that targets a general student population, the instructors have developed high-quality learning materials that target SeoulTech students' needs.
The faculty has also committed to using technology to improve the learning environment. They use Moodle, a learning management system, to keep track of course materials, assignments, and progress. Furthermore, they use a variety of technology-based assignments to offer useful and interesting ways to practice English. By creating a bookless curriculum, developing learning materials for SeoulTech students, and integrating technology into classes, the ILER faculty has not only provided an excellent learning environment for over 17 thousand students taking the mandatory courses but also helped save around 255 million won in student book fees over the past four years.
While these successes are notable, the faculty continues to meet weekly to develop materials and resources to improve the quality of learning in all our classes. The faculty at the ILER remains committed to creating a useful and interesting curriculum for the students at SeoulTech. The ILER is a developing PLC (Professional Learning Community), focused on modernizing curriculum, expanding opportunities for research and publication, and fostering a spirit of intercultural exchange.