Full-time Assistant Professor (non-tenure track, 4 positions)
Seoul National University of Science and Technology (SeoulTech) is currently seeking several full-time English Professors to teach required English conversation courses and additional English electives.
Job Title: Full-time Assistant Professor (non-tenure track, 4 positions)
Department: The Institute for Language Education and Research
- Master's degree in any of the following subjects: TESOL, Applied Linguistics, English Literature, CALL/Educational Technology and other language related degrees. (An assessment of the candidate's English language proficiency may be required as part of the hiring process.)
- 4 years of teaching experience required
- Years spent completing study/research/teaching during a graduate degree program will be counted towards those 4 years (e.g., 2 year MA program plus 2 additional years teaching experience, or 1 year MA program plus 3 additional years teaching experience)
- Experience with MOODLE preferred
Hiring Priorities: We are particularly interested in, but not limited to, hiring teachers with specialized qualifications and/or experience in materials development, language testing/assessment, CALL, and ICC (Intercultural Communication).
Salary and Benefits:
- 3 million won per month (36,000,000 won per year)
- 600,000 won annual salary increase upon contract renewal
- Overtime rates range from 30,000~45,000 won/hour depending on the program
- 10 million won towards Korean housing deposit (key money) for off-campus housing
- One-month salary as severance bonus for each successful contract year
- Subsidized public pension premiums
- Subsidized national health insurance
- Supplemental health insurance for disability and hospitalization
- 1 million won relocation stipend for candidates residing outside of Korea
- Large office shared with one other professor
- Opportunities to audit university Korean language classes or 200,000 won reimbursement for classes taken outside of university
Professor Duties: Teach 14 hours per week (credit program), attend weekly meetings, support departmental development (e.g., committee assignments) and participate in curriculum and materials development.
Teaching Focus: Professors teach required basic English conversation courses with opportunities to teach elective courses. Successful applicants will be team-oriented language teaching professionals who are willing to be creative and make collegial contributions, but are also able to work within a teacher created, standardized program. We are looking for candidates who can demonstrate experience with developing and implementing their own resources and materials in the classroom successfully.
Start of Employment: September 1, 2014
Contract Period: 1 academic year, renewable upon mutual agreement
NOTE: Please read this posting carefully and make sure you qualify before applying. Because we receive numerous applications, we kindly request that applicants who do not meet the minimum qualifications refrain from submitting applications. Such applications only slow down our internal hiring process.
Application Documents: (We kindly ask you do NOT zip your application.)
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Copies of transcripts
- One letter of recommendation including contact numbers
- Copies of diplomas and teaching certificates (e.g. TESOL/TEFL/TESL/CELTA certificate)
- Copies of certificate of employment or employer¡¯s letter that verifies employment period
Successful candidates are required to submit the following documents:
- Copies of all diplomas or graduation certificates, each affixed with Apostille
- National criminal background check from your home country, affixed with Apostille
How to Apply: Send your email application to: Ms. Eunsook Ahn at email@example.com. Be sure to include your full name in the subject line. You can also send your application by postal mail to:
Ms. Eunsook Ahn, The Institute for Language Education & Research
Language Center Rm 115
Seoul National University of Science & Technology
232 Gongneung-ro, Nowon-gu
Seoul, 139-743, South Korea
Application Deadline: June 21st, 2014 (Applications reviewed until positions are filled.)
Interview Date (Tentative): July 11th, 2014 (Video interviews through Skype or Google Hangout will be scheduled for overseas applicants.)
University Homepage: http://www.seoultech.ac.kr
Department Homepage: http://language.seoultech.ac.kr
Department MOODLE Homepage: http://moodle.seoultech.ac.kr
About Seoul National University of Science and Technology and ILER
Seoul National University of Science and Technology (SeoulTech) is a public university located in north-east Seoul, on a verdant, spacious 508,690 sq. meter (125 acre) campus which supports a student enrollment of 13,000. While SeoulTech is recognized for our renowned Engineering, Science, and Technology programs, we also have stellar Business and Management programs, including our new College of Techno Business Fusion, a School of Architecture, a college of Humanities and Social Sciences, and a College of Art and Design.
The Institute for Language Education and Research (ILER) provides a variety of language programs to serve the University's English, Korean, Chinese and Japanese learning needs. The ILER has built a qualified, knowledgeable, and supportive faculty where collaboration is valued to design curriculum relevant for our particular students' needs. There are currently 26 full-time faculty positions. We have a dedicated language center building which houses all needed facilities: professors' offices, administration offices, conference hall, conversation classrooms with round tables, etc. The ILER is a developing PLC (Professional Learning Community), focused on modernizing curriculum, expanding opportunities for research and publication, and fostering a spirit of intercultural exchange.