Starting as early as July, 2017
Berkeley House Language Center, a leading language school in Japan, is seeking an experienced CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST to work at our head office in the Chiyoda Ward of Tokyo, Japan.
JOB PURPOSE AND RESPONSIBILITY:
As a member of the Training Management and Operation Department, the Curriculum Development Specialist contributes to the planning, development and production of curriculum materials, processes and best practices that are evaluated and acknowledged to be highly effective in improving student outcomes. The department also focuses on marketing, identification, selection and the development of new courses and curriculum to meet the market need. Additionally, this position is responsible for providing curricular and instructional support to our schools in Japan and novice teachers, and utilizing good judgment in developing curriculum and programmatic practices.
- Participate in the development and evaluation of new curriculum. Consult with other staff, instructors and client representatives in the design, development and implementation of new curriculum.
- Coordinate the review/assessment of current curriculum to ensure it is meeting the intended objectives/requirements.
- Prepare instructional material for classroom.
QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor's Degree in TESOL, TESL/TEFL, Linguistics, Applied Linguistics, Education (with TESOL endorsement), or Curriculum and Instruction; Master's Degree strongly preferred.
- At least three (3) consecutive years of teaching experience in ESL/EFL classrooms.
- Knowledge of current techniques and procedures used in the design and development of curriculum.
- Ability to communicate effectively both oral and written.
- Ability to evaluate the effectiveness of programs and make recommendations for improvement.
- Ability to provide leadership and assist in the planning, development and establishment of new, modified and/or improved curriculum and materials.
- Ability to professionally and effectively communicate in Japanese both oral and written
The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years of professional experience, including 3 years as a teacher. Experience leading coaching or training other teachers is preferred.Candidates should have knowledge and experience developing curriculum and developing lessons. S/he should be highly organized and able to work independently and without much supervision. Excellent oral and written communication skills in English as required, in Japanese highly preferred. Candidates must also have a willingness to be flexible.
Remuneration depends on the applicant qualifications, but begins at 300,000 yen/month with transportation expenses in Japan being reimbursed. Successful applicants pay their own airfare to Japan. These are one-year contract positions, usually renewable.
Berkeley House will assist with settling in Japan by providing an apartment. Employees are required to pay their own rent and utilities.
ADDITIONAL STAFF BENEFITS:
As a member of the regular office staff, the standard benefits package includes health care, pension payments and yearly bonuses when applicable. In addition to Japan National Holidays, staff members receive 10 paid vacation days.
As a regular member of the office, staff work 8.5 hour shifts (with 1-hour lunch) receiving two consecutive days off in a row. Once a month, on an office-wide rotating schedule, staff are asked to work one of the designated off-days once a month (making up the time from the shortened daily shifts).
Please submit the following materials in order to apply for the position-
- Current CV
- Cover letter
- Samples of ESL/EFL materials and support you have created for adult language learners (textbooks, worksheets, programschedules, syllabi, program proposals, assessment tools, etc.)
- Three references with contact details (name, address, phone number, email). At least two must be supervisors.
Only applicants who submit all documents and pass the initial screening will be contacted. The application process consists of in-person or Skype interviews with the HR Manager, Program Manager, Department Manager, and company President. Candidates will also be asked to present a 30 minute teaching demonstration after the departmental interviews.
Please send your application to: email@example.com