Crossroads instructs mostly adults in General English, Business English, ESP and preparation for proficiency exams such as the TOEIC, TOEFL, etc. Lessons are offered in-house and on-site at company locations. Students are typically business people, technical personnel and other professionals, company employees, housewives, retirees and the occasional high school student.
Although we specialize in adult education, the range of levels and interests among our students varies considerably, as does the program content we design for them. Lessons are conducted in small groups (up to 6 in-house and slightly larger at some on-site locations) as well as in private classes. Classes are usually either once a week or twice a week.
Unless traveling to an outside (company) location, non-teaching hours during the working day are spent at the school in lesson preparation, resources development and general assistance to office staff. Teachers should also be available in their free time during the day to participate in “open house” activities, chatting with students over a coffee or tea, when not teaching or otherwise engaged in work related activities.
Teachers will be requested to work with, apply and adapt the basic Crossroads’ teaching system and programs.
This full-time position is five (5) days a week (40 hours) with up to 100 classroom, contact-hours per month (average 25 per week). A one hour lunch break is set aside each day.
This position will start on the 1st of September this year.
The contract is for one year and is renewable.
Short listed applicants will be required to have an interview, either at the school or via Skype.
* Monthly salary: 250,000 yen per month.
* The school pays health insurance coverage for our full-time staff.
* There are three one-week paid holiday periods during the year; all national holidays are days off as well as two regular days per week.
* Sponsorship for a working visa to Japan, if required.
* Crossroads secures a comfortable apartment within walking distance or bike ride from work. We supply basic furniture (fridge, washing machine, kitchen table and chairs, air-con, bedding, etc), and pay the deposit. Our Instructor pays rent and bills (rents range from about 55,000 to 65,000 yen per month).
* All traveling expenses to outside locations are covered by the school.
You will need to be a native speaker with a university degree (BA, BS minimum).
A CELTA, DELTA or TESOL certificate would be an advantage.
2 years experience teaching in a foreign country – preferably Japan – will be an advantage also; as would experience teaching Business English.
A professional attitude, including your demeanor and appearance, is essential for this position. You will need to understand what “student centered” lessons are all about and be familiar with current theories and methodologies in teaching communicative English to adults. We use specialized teaching methods that our Instructors are asked to become familiar with, accept and put to use.
You will need to be flexibility and adaptable, supportive and have the ability to function within a small team as well as independently when the situation arises. We want to work with teachers who take pride in their profession. You will be required to accept responsibility, have a strong work ethic and a willingness to accept our approach to teaching language.
Applicants please apply through email to Joshua Battain: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Complete resume
• Cover letter
• Recent photo
• Copy of your degree
• Copies of your teaching certificates - TESL, TESOL, CELTA, DELTA, etc.
• Letter(s) of recommendation from past employer(s)
• Referee contact details (if immediately available)