Na’atik Language and Cultural Institute is looking for qualified, enthusiastic, creative and independant English teachers who want to make a real difference in an underserved community for the August 2018- July 2019 school year. We are a young, local, nonprofit institute located in the quiet and ‘authentic’ Mexican-Maya town of Felipe Carrillo Puerto, Quintana Roo (approximately 1-hour inland from Tulum). You will be part of our small team providing accessible, high-quality English courses to fulfil our mission of increasing access to education and opportunities in the Maya Zone. You will be working with primary school children, teenagers, and adults of all levels of English fluency many of whom attend the school on a scholarship program. You’ll deliver fun, active and well planned lessons along with helping to organize special events and field trips.
This is an exceptional opportunity for someone who wants to make a positive social impact while also gaining diverse teaching experience; can live with fewer first-world comforts; is more excited about getting to know a local community than being on the beach; plans interactive lessons that use the internet but is quick to pivot when the internet goes out; and wishes to improve their Spanish while working with modern Maya.
Please check out our Facebook page and website to learn more about Na’atik. We also recommend looking at our blogs to learn more about life in our town.
To apply for this role please submit a CV and cover letter explaining how you meet the following requirements as well as why you are interested in coming to the Yucatán and your expectations.
- Native English speaker
- Degree from an accredited university
- TEFL/CELTA/TESOL certified
- Adventurous and independent spirit
- Willingness to help organize and participate in extracurricular special events and field trips
- Commitment to the institute's mission of affordable education
- Ability to commit to a full school year
- Proactive and willing to learn
- Experience in the developing world
- One year teaching experience
- Basic Spanish
- Twice monthly stipend appropriate to cover local costs
- Furnished housing included
- Financial help offered for visa application
- Five hours of free Spanish or Maya classes (with paid classes available as well)