We are Hiring ESL Teachers for Summer Employment!
We are Hiring ESL Teachers for Summer Employment!
Ardmore Language Schools are experts in providing educational travel courses to junior students from around the world. With over 30 years of experience, we are dedicated to delivering the highest quality courses that include language and cultural programs in our residential and homestay centers across the United Kingdom, United States and Canada. Our main objective is for our students to enjoy their time at one of our centers while experiencing the culture and improving their English in a safe and friendly environment.
ESL TEACHER / ACTIVITY LEADER
The ESL Teacher / Activity Leader (ESL/AL) has the dual responsibility of preparing, coordinating and teaching English as part of the academic program and is expected to participate in and supervise activities and excursions during morning, afternoon and evening sessions. The ESL/AL works closely with the Head Teacher (HT), the Activities Manager (AM) and the Excursion Manager (EM) to assist in student testing, timetabling, progress monitoring and administration of ESL classes as well as organizing and supervising activities and excursions.
It is preferred that the ESL/AL lives on campus but non-residential positions can be discussed dependent on applicant. The ESL/AL is also expected to have knowledge of the city/cities that one is working in. We have several positions available ranging in length from one to six weeks in nine different locations across North America (near Boston, Honolulu, Los Angeles, New York City, San Francisco, South Florida, Toronto and New Haven, CT).
Teaching and Academic
- Teach from 15 to 30 hours per week (depending on the demands of the center).
- Arrive punctually for classes (before the lesson begins).
- Assist the HT with student testing and placement.
- Teach English to a high standard following the workbook curriculum and the academic program of Ardmore Language Schools. Teaching materials and lesson plans are provided.
- Prepare and deliver lessons to achieve the objectives and outcomes of the curriculum of Ardmore Language Schools.
- Use teaching techniques that are appropriate to the level and needs of the students. Make every effort to create a positive learning environment that enables students to participate actively in the lessons.
- Make lessons stimulating and enjoyable with particular emphasis on speaking and listening skills for practical use and understanding of the English language.
- Administer and mark course assessments tasks as well as marking placement and exit tests.
- Maintain excellent class administration including lesson preparation, class registration and monitoring student progress.
- Advise the HT of any students misbehaving in class, absent from lessons or welfare concerns (bullying, withdrawn students, not participating, etc.) with particular attention to individual students.
- Ensure that students are prepared and informed about their forthcoming excursion in the prior lesson (class discussion, hand-outs, etc.).
- Complete individual student progress reports and issue final certificates to students.
- Be in open communication with colleagues and share best practices, lessons and results.
Activities and Excursions (if teaching morning only)
- Participate in, lead and supervise activities during afternoon and evening sessions as directed by the AM.
- Organize and supervise excursions as directed by the EM (depending on the demands of the center).
- Attend all activities, excursion and staff meetings.
- Maintain appropriate levels of student discipline, safety and welfare during activities and excursions.
- Conduct head counts on a constant basis during excursions to ensure all students are accounted for and allocate meeting points for students after periods of free time.
- Applicants holding special qualifications may be required to undertake responsibilities such as pool duties, sports coaching and first aid provision.
- Carry out residential duties on a rota basis, including meal and bedtime supervision, room checks and additional duties as required.
- Ensure that individual students are integrated with other students in activities and on excursions.
All staff should show respect for the opinions and feelings of students, foreign group leaders and colleagues no matter what their religion, race, age background, gender or sexual orientation.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE
- CELTA or Trinity TESOL qualification or Masters in Education*
- English mother tongue
- Teaching experience with junior students
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Ability and desire to work as part of a team
- Enthusiastic, punctual and organized
- Eligible to live and work in the US
*Other ESL qualifications (validated by an external body that includes a minimum of six hours of observed teaching practice) and considerable experience in the field of ESL teaching will be reviewed and considered.
RECOMMENDED QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE
- Previous summer camp or residential school experience
- Previous experience in continuous enrollment courses
- Competent athlete with excellent knowledge of rules and organization of sports / games
- Experience and interest in activities such as sports, drama, arts and crafts, etc.
- First Aid qualification
- Lifeguard / Coaching qualification
**On completing an application form, you will be required to declare any criminal convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings, and any subsequent information that will affect your suitability for the role. Successful applicants may be subject to a background check.
This job description summarizes the purpose of the job and lists its key tasks; it is not a definitive list of all the tasks to be undertaken as those can be varied from time to time at the discretion of the Center Director. Ardmore will exercise this right reasonably.
To apply online, visit our careers page at
http://www.ardmore-language-schools.com/working_for_ardmore.aspx and click “Residential Vacancies in North America (USA & Canada).” From there, just click on the position you're interested in and follow the on-screen instructions. Also check out our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/ArdmoreLanguageSchoolsUSA for more information about our schools and posts about our open positions. For any additional questions, please email us at USAjobs@theardmoregroup.com.