Native Speaker Mentoring Programme in Malaysia - Selangor, Penang, Perak, Kedah
SMR HR Group has successfully fulfilled the requirements of the Malaysian Ministry of Education Native Speaker Mentoring Programme from January 2011 to its conclusion in September 2013. A vast majority of the mentors are returning to continue the project, but we still have a few places for new mentors. We are particularly looking for trainers who have Primary School teaching experience and appropriate qualifications in EFL/ESL. Please contact for further information.
The Malaysian Ministry of Education is determined to improve the level of English competency amongst its population and has initiated a programme where Teachers of English who have native English competency will work alongside Malaysian teachers to help them with methodology and to improve their personal language ability.
This is being achieved by trainers being allocated responsibility for five schools located close to each other. They work alongside the teachers who teach English to Primary 1, 2 and 3 classes. In Malaysia children start Primary 1 at 7 years of age. Some children may have had exposure to English in Kindergarten, but many, particularly in rural areas may not have had that opportunity.
All trainers monitor teachers, help with methodology and conduct training sessions to teach communicative language to the children. In addition they also help the teachers improve their personal communication skills and increase their confidence in using English.
This will be a medium term project which will be completed on 30th September 2015.
All trainers are provided with templates of training materials which they can share with the primary school teachers. Examples of subjects covered are storytelling, flash cards, phonics, functional language, grammar in context etc. There will be much professional support as 80% of the mentors on the project are returning and will be available to give professional support to new personnel.
If you are interested in applying for this position please send a resume. Applications will be assessed and short-listed candidates will be contacted by e-mail and a subsequent interview will be arranged using Skype. It is important that in your resume you give prominence to teaching experience you have had with young children, stating ages, class sizes, subjects taught, methodology used and any other information that would demonstrate your skills and experience at teaching young children and mentoring / training teachers.
This is a wonderful opportunity for trained teachers to hone their mentoring and coaching skills with teachers in Malaysia. It is an ideal environment to contribute and also learn and grow in your personal abilities as there is so much to learn from the Malaysian teachers that you will be working with. This project is much more about sharing and caring than conveying academic knowledge.
1. All applicants should be in possession of a full car driving licence.
2. Native speaker competence in English (This does not preclude applicants whose first language is not English)
3. First Degree (in any subject though English or ESL qualifications preferred)
4. Three years teaching experience. The majority of which should be with Primary Children. Preference will be given to candidates who have a primary teaching background and those who have overseas experience
5. CELTA or equivalent ESL/EFL teaching qualification
All will be expected to pay local income tax. Salaries will be allocated as follows:
From RM8,000 (approx US$2400) to RM10,000 (approx US$3000) depending upon qualifications and experience.
In addition mentors will receive:
1. A monthly allowance of RM1500 to help offset the expenses such as accommodation, petrol, telephone and laptop.
2. The use of a company car. Servicing of the car will be the responsibility of the mentor, but mechanical maintenance will be paid for by the company.
3. A one off settling in allowance of RM4000 to help with initial arrival costs.
4. Return air fares for mentor and spouse (on completion of full contract).
5. Holiday allowance of RM3000 for school vacation time in November and December 2014.
6. A contract completion bonus of RM20,000 will be paid on completion of the contract in September 2015. (This will be paid pro-rata for candidates joining the project after January 2013).
7. Comprehensive medical insurance plan that covers routine doctor’s visits to hospitalization. (Dental, Pregnancy and Mental health issues excluded).
8. The company will also arrange visa and immigration requirements for the mentor and assist in obtaining appropriate visas for spouse and family.
All applications will be acknowledged and potential candidates will be invited to be interviewed by one or more of the management team. The names of successful candidates are forwarded to the Ministry of Education staff for approval and once received mentors can be offered a contract immediately. This process may take a few weeks, depending upon the response time from the Ministry of Education.
For further information or just to send your resume, please contact any of the following email addresses: Previous applicants are welcome to apply again
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com