Native English Teachers Needed in Mohamedia
The American Language Center (ALC) of Mohammedia is currently accepting applications for an October 1, 2015 opening for a Native English Teacher position. We are looking to hire for a 9 month contract that covers our three main academic terms: Fall (October - December), Winter (January - March), and Spring (April - June).
Teachers at the ALC are dedicated and collegial professionals, with their students as their first interest. They are also knowledgeable about current teaching methodologies and dedicated to their own professional development. Together with ALC staff, they are committed to the mission of the school and use a variety of strategies to meet their objectives.
Work is mainly English teaching in the classroom, but may include facilitating activities, serving as a program coordinator, or assisting with other administration projects. Most teaching takes place on weekday afternoons, evenings and on weekends. Teachers that are new to Morocco are asked to arrive in advance of the term with time to find housing and participate in orientation and training. All new teachers are required to attend the orientation program prior to their first term teaching.
Our ALC is located in the small city of Mohammedia. Mohammedia is a quaint coastal city with nice beaches, an old Kasbah area, and a central park. It is conveniently located close to Casablanca (15 minutes to downtown Casa by train) and Rabat (40 minutes to downtown Rabat by train).
• Minimum University Qualifications : Native speakers must have a bachelor’s degree and a teaching certificate (CELTA preferred). Teachers with a master’s in TESOL are preferred.
• Age : The ALC is the first to recognize the value and talent of older teachers, but the Moroccan Ministry of Labor will not issue a work permit to non-Moroccans aged 60 or older, which means we cannot offer positions to teachers 59 and older.
• Nationality : A teacher must hold a passport from a country whose native language is English. Most of our visiting teachers come from the U.S., the U.K., Canada, or Australia.
• Teaching experience : Ideally, teachers should have two years, full-time classroom experience, preferably in the EFL classroom. We will sometimes consider applicants with less experience that have a passion for teaching and an open and fun personality that translates well to the classroom environment.
• Experience living abroad and the ability to adapt to Moroccan culture: Morocco has many wonderful aspects, but it can be a challenging place to live as well. We want visiting teachers to be content in their new surroundings so that they can give their best in class.
Salary and Benefits
Full-time salaries offered by the ALC Mohammedia allow teachers to live comfortably in Mohammedia and are commensurate with experience. Salaries are in Moroccan dirhams, but foreign nationals may convert their earnings to foreign currency once they have been working in Morocco for 3 months. In addition to the basic salary, all teachers are offered medical insurance for a modest fee, which covers 80% of most medical and certain dental expenses. Other benefits include a monthly housing stipend either as a direct benefit or a reduction in rent, a sick leave allowance (20 hours per year), vacation pay, an end-of-contract airfare stipend, and access to free French classes through our French program. Support for professional development is provided in the form of free training, regular workshops, and a free trip to the annual All-ALC TEFL Conference.
A job application to the ALC Mohammedia should include the following (minimum):
• a CV / resume
• a copy of the front page of your passport (scanned)
• a carefully composed letter telling us about yourself, including briefly why you would like to teach at the ALC
Highly competitive applications will also include :
• letters of reference (university and/or job references)
• a photocopy of your university diploma(s) and other relevant certificates
• Video recording of the applicant teaching a lesson
Please submit applications to firstname.lastname@example.org