Volunteer in Amazing Colombia and make a difference!
We are delighted to be working with Connecting Worlds to find suitable candidates for an adventure of a lifetime working in the Colombian publich school system.
This programme works with Colombian public institutions, with students from disadvantaged backgrounds, in order to attempt to raise their English levels and proficiency. Learning English is a gateway to careers and jobs outside of what some of these students might have access to without this education. This program aims to make a big impact in each community where teachers are placed, as well as in each student’s life.
Placements are made within public institutions throughout Colombia. Your responsibilities as a teacher will be: Co-teaching in a Colombian classroom for 25 hours per week 15 hours of class preparation to be done at your school, so that you and your co-teacher can work together Attend two pedagogy workshops per semester Attend all regional meetings coordinated by your Regional Coordinator Periodically test your students’ English level to evaluate the progress of the program Give applied oral and written English exams at the beginning and at the end of each semester
We are looking for eligible candidates to be hardworking, socially oriented, adaptable, flexible, motivated and an ability to work independently.
-Native English speaker or non-native English speaker with Level C1 certified
-Minimum age 21 years
-Maximum age 50 years
-Biography (a paragraph about yourself)
-Maturity, flexibility, accountability and abililty to demonstrate commitment
-Clean criminal record
-1 Recommendation Letter
-400 USD deposit refundable at the end of the program (see below for more information on the deposit)
- Full time teaching placement in Colombia
- Monthly stipend to cover living expenses: 1,500,000 Colombian Pesos per month (this is twice the Colombian national wage) (approx £380 or $510 USD)
- Visa paid for by the Colombian government
- End of semester or end of year completion bonuses (these are in addition to your commitment deposit reimbursement) o 500,000 pesos for 1 semester o 1,000,000 pesos for 2 semesters
- Colombian national EPS health insurance
- Domestic flight from Bogota to placement city (domestic baggage fees are not covered if you have more than 23 kg of luggage)
- Accommodation during orientation and the first month of placement is included in shared rooms. Assistance finding housing after the first month from program regional coordinators, who know the cities and can help communicate with landlords
- Support and guidance from your CW program manager
- Airport Pickup
- 1- 2 week orientation upon arrival in Bogota, including accommodation at a hotel and meals (orientation at the beginning of the school year is 2 weeks, for second semester it’s 1 week) 1-week welcome orientation in your placement city
- In-country support from your regional coordinator
- 24/7 Emergency Line
- “Culture Smart” Colombia Customs & Culture Guidebook
- Connecting Worlds T-Shirt
What's Not Included
- Flights to/from Colombia
- Additional International Medical and Accident Insurance^
- Meals after orientation
- Accommodation after the first month in your placement city
This program is free however there will be a $400 (USD) deposit upon acceptance to the programme, but this will only be required after both interview rounds, after you have been accepted. The deposit will be returned to you only when you complete your full programme and contract term, along with your end of contract bonus. This deposit is your official commitment to participating in the program and is non-refundable if you cancel or withdraw from the programme at any time, for any reason. This deposit will be refunded in Colombian pesos along with your last paycheck and completion bonus, at a fixed exchange rate outlined in the Participant Agreement each teacher will sign after acceptance.
For more information, please email email@example.com
The Closing Date for applications to be submitted is November 15th 2016 and the Programme is scheduled to start from January 2017