Starting as early as July, 2017
Berkeley House Language Center, a leading language school in Japan, is seeking an experienced administrator to work at our head office in the Chiyoda Ward of Tokyo, Japan.
JOB PURPOSE AND RESPONSIBILITY:
As a member of the Training Management and Operation Department, the Administrative Assistant duties include but are not limited to:
- Conducting initial job interviews
- Arranging correspondences with candidates and hired teachers
- Teaching assigned classes including substitute teaching in case of emergency
- Updating and developing support materials for teachers
- Updating and offering administrative support for new teacher training, workshops, and professional development
- Giving level checks to students
- Building candidate sources of new teachers
- Assisting the HR Manager and Program Manager as needed.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor's Degree in TESOL, TESL/TEFL, Linguistics, Applied Linguistics, Education, HR, or Curriculum and Instruction; Master's Degree preferred.
- At least two (2) consecutive years of teaching experience in ESL/EFL classrooms.
- Some knowledge of current techniques and procedures used in the design and development of curriculum and teaching materials.
- Ability to communicate effectively both oral and written in English.
- Ability to evaluate the effectiveness of programs departmental systems and make recommendations for improvement.
- Ability to provide leadership and assist in the planning, development and establishment of new, modified and/or improved curriculum and materials.
- Understanding of staffing, recruiting and operations practices, programs and plans
The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years of professional experience, including 2 years as a teacher. Experience leading coaching or training other teachers is preferred. Candidates should have knowledge and experience developing or updating curriculum, teaching materials, and developing lessons. S/he should be highly organized and able to work independently and without much supervision. Excellent oral and written communication skills in English as required, in Japanese preferred. Candidates must also have a willingness to be flexible.
Remuneration depends on the applicant qualifications, but begins at 270,000 yen/month with transportation expenses in Japan being reimbursed. Successful applicants pay their own airfare to Japan. These are one-year contract positions, usually renewable.
Berkeley House will assist with settling in Japan by setting up an apartment. Employees are required to pay their own rent and utilities.
ADDITIONAL STAFF BENEFITS:
As a member of the regular office staff, the standard benefits package includes health care, pension payments and yearly bonuses when applicable. In addition to Japan's National Holidays, staff members receive 10 paid vacation days.
As a regular member of the office, staff work 8.5 hour shifts (with 1-hour lunch) receiving two consecutive days off in a row. Once a month, on an office-wide rotating schedule, staff are asked to work one of the designated off-days once a month (making up the time from the shortened daily shifts).
Please submit the following materials in order to apply for the position-
- Current CV
- Cover letter
- Three references with contact details (name, address, phone number, email). At least two must be supervisors.
Only applicants who submit all documents and pass the initial screening will be contacted. The application process consists of in-person or Skype interviews with the HR Manager, Program Manager, Department Manager, and company President. Candidates will also be asked to present a 30 minute teaching demonstration after the departmental interviews.
Please send your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org