Why the American University of Iraq – Baghdad?
The new American University of Iraq – Baghdad (AUIB) will open its doors on September 1, 2018. AUIB began as a dream of influential individuals in Iraqi and United States business, industry and government who want to see a world-class institution of higher learning established in the city, reminiscent of the days when Baghdad was an educational mecca and flourishing capital of the Muslim world.
The location of AUIB is centered around the magnificent Al-Faw Palace, near the airport. The main palace and many of the smaller palaces/structures are being completely renovated and will become home to the new AUIB. There will be a grand library, residence halls for faculty and students, cafes and coffee houses, and athletic facilities. AUIB will be a beautiful campus that attracts students, faculty and staff from throughout the world. We invite you to join us in this exciting new venture.
We have fifty (50) positions in the English Language Academy and invite applications and nominations for the position of English Language Instructor.
This main purpose of this position:
As a Teacher of English you will be an outstanding classroom practitioner who consistently demonstrates the highest standards of delivery, is fully committed to raising attainment across all key stages and acutely aware of the strategies required to achieve the highest standards within your subject area.
The responsibilities of this position are as follows:
The Teacher of English, working with other members of the English language team, will be responsible for the delivery of the following key priorities:
The position requires the ability to maintain accurate and up to date academic records.
Lead a classroom of 15-20 students and be culturally sensitivity. Contact hours are roughly 20 (twenty) hours per week with additional 8 hrs to cover classes for other teachers.
Plan, prepare and deliver lessons to a range of classes and age groups
Prepare and set tests, examination papers and exercises
Mark and provide appropriate feedback on oral and written work
Devise, write and produce new materials, including audio and visual resources
Organize and get involved in social and cultural activities such as sports competitions, school parties, dinners and excursions
Attend and contribute to training sessions and participate in marketing events
Prepare information for inspection visits and other quality assurance exercises
Undertake administrative tasks, such as keeping student registers and attendance records.
• excellent spoken and written communication skills
• effective listening skills
• creative skills and ideas for planning practical and interesting
• excellent planning and organization skills
• a friendly and confident manner
• the ability to work well under pressure
• Have a flexible approach to work
• Be tolerant and patient
• Native speaker of English possessing a passport from the U.S.A., Canada,
UK, EU, Australia or New Zealand
• Previous experience working with adult learners as an ESL teacher.
• 2+ years minimum of international teaching/work experience
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to maintain professionalism with staff, faculty and students at
• Teaching certification (TESOL/CELTA/DELTA) or teacher certification from
• MA in a related field (English, Linguistics, TESOL, etc.) is required.
Exceptions can be made for applicants with 5+ years of relevant teaching
Salary and benefits:
• 2-year contract,
• 3,500$ per month tax free,
• Free Accommodation, 1 x Flight tickets after 1 year completed service,
• Free medical insurance.
Procedure for Candidacy:
Applications should include a cover letter and curriculum vitae. Applications and nominations will be accepted until the position is filled. Confidential review of materials and screening of candidates will begin immediately.
Please send your application with supporting documents to the email address: email@example.com.
Please note due to the amount of CVs, if we do not respond to you within 2 weeks of date of your application, it means that you have not been shortlisted.