We are a grassroots non-profit and non-governmental organization based in Ioannina, Greece called Second Tree. Second Tree was founded in January 2017 by a group of volunteers that had worked together in the Katsikas refugee camp. Since our inception, we have worked with and supported refugee communities across the Epirus region.
We deliver non-formal education (NFE) programs at 3 different sites (2 refugee camps and one community center) and are looking for qualified and/or experienced volunteers to fill the roles.
The ethos of our program is to foster safe spaces for learning that first and foremost serve as a psycho-social intervention – where students feel comfortable to come and enjoy being there; and secondly, to provide them with access to a structured, quality language program designed to develop their communicative skills and the vocabulary needed to communicate in daily life here; with the longer term goal of preparing them for a language certification at the appropriate level;
Although acquiring certification is the intended long-term objective, we expect teachers to ensure that the following objectives are realised in the immediate term:
- To support the psycho-social and intellectual development of refugees and asylum seekers
- To empower them with interpersonal – and life – skills
- To enable access to quality learning resources
- To develop their English language skills in preparation for certification
- To strengthen their ability to enter formal education and/or the workplace
- To foster their integration into European society
What We Offer
Second Tree cherishes the relation that every teacher creates with their students. This is especially true in a refugee context, where gaining students’ trust and having a thorough knowledge of their needs is crucial to their learning. For this reason, Second Tree only offers the position of Lead Teacher to volunteers that can commit to at least two months. Short term volunteers can help as Assistant Teachers. As space is limited, and Lead Teachers are vital to maintain program continuity, we prioritise long-term volunteers.
For Long-Term Volunteers:
If you are staying for at least 2 months, we offer free accommodation with all the basic amenities (WiFi, heating, laundry, kitchen) covered in a shared team house, and offer and/or cover transportation for work-related activities;
For Short-Term Volunteers:
If you are staying between 3 weeks and 2 months, we might be able to put you in contact with individuals providing cheap accommodation (approx. 5€/day). In case there are empty spaces in the team house, you are welcome to stay there, but priority will be given to long-term volunteers.
We are looking for volunteer teachers to deliver English classes to refugees and asylum seekers in Ioannina. The applicant should be familiar with the Common European Framework for Language References as classes are modelled in line with it.
Applicants will be accepted on a rolling basis, with first positions needing to be filled by November 20th.
The ideal candidate(s) will have experience teaching English as a foreign/second language and will possess a strong understanding of the context they work in (refugee crisis). Experience delivering educational activities to vulnerable populations is a strong advantage.
- Delivering daily classes to the population at assigned site
- Preparing lesson plans and associated class materials in line with the set syllabus
- Ensuring student engagement and progress
- Managing their classrooms effectively, including related admin tasks
- Working closely with the Program Manager to ensure the programme is being delivered to the expected standards of the organization
- TEFL certificate
- Native English speaker or fluent in English
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, multi-level classroom
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage own workload
- Ability to work in a high-intensity environment
- Adaptable, flexible attitude and approach to teaching and classroom management
- Strong communication and inter-personal skills
- Strong writing skills
Skills Desired (but not essential):
- Experience working in the refugee context
- Experience working with vulnerable populations
- Fluency in Arabic, Farsi/Dari, Urdu, Kurmanji or Sorani
Please send a CV, cover letter and copy of your teaching qualifications (if applicable) to Giovanni Fontana at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put “ESL Teacher Candidate” as the subject line and specify in your email the dates you would be available to volunteer.