Gyeongnam International Academy (GIA), which is located in Sacheon, a small town near Jinju in Gyeongsangnam-do, is looking for qualified native teachers who can start to teach in the upcoming months. We would accept as soon as March 2019, but are flexible with regards to start date to an extent.
This academy has been created alongside Gyeongnam International Foreign School (GIFS), a small but diverse co-ed PreK-12 facility catering to expats who have moved to South Korea for work. The program and curriculum is designed and evaluated by GIFS’ professional ESL teachers, and the incoming teacher would be encouraged to help develop and perfect the teaching system with their own expertise. The teacher will work alongside a bi-lingual Korean-English speaking teacher. Both teachers are reviewed and evaluated on a regular basis.
The teacher will teach English as a Second Language, using pedagogically sound methods. Students will be in grade 1 through 6 and there will also be adult conversation classes in the evening, focusing on business and fluency.
We prefer certified teachers who have previous teaching experience, from the U.S.A, Canada, UK, Australia, South Africa, or other native English speaking countries.
- Native English Speaker
- BA/BS (or higher) in Education, Linguistics, ESL or other relevant majors
- Preference is given to Certified Teachers, but a combination of
TEFL/TESOL/CELTA/DELTA/CELT-P certification and work experience will also be considered.
- maximum 30 teaching hours a week and work 5 days a week (Monday through Friday). There are no Saturday classes.
- Detailed working hours:
o Mon-Fri. 2 p.m. – 3 p.m. (Prep Time); 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. (Class Time)
- No Split Shifts
- Maximum Students per Class: 12
- Basic salary will be determined based on applicant's education, qualifications, and teaching experience: between 2.55-2.85 million Won per month
- Potential overtime pay offered at 50,000 won for a morning of substituting
- Severance pay (or the equivalent of 1 month's basic salary) will be given after the completion of a one-year contract.
- Spacious furnished apartment that is comfortable and convenient, and a 5 minute walk from work (also near a grocery store, weekly farmer’s market, and numerous coffee shops!)
- Round-trip Airfare
- An option to choose a paid-for lunch or dinner (must be decided during contract signing)
Benefits & Taxes:
- Free tuition for dependents at the accredited International Foreign School
- 4 weeks paid vacation and all national holidays
- Medical insurance premium and national pension will be co-shared
- Income tax will be deducted at the standard national rate
- Scanned transcripts (for our files, originals are no longer required)
- Resume (with a recent photo) and Cover letter, explaining your goals and motivations for teaching in Korea
- 1 copy of university diploma
o For Canadians, notarized by a notary public and certified by Korean consulate.
o For others, the diploma needs to be notarized and apostilled.
o A scan/copy is fine for the initial application.
Please note that the Korean Ministry of Education may require an original
diploma to be presented after arrival.
- Copy of inside passport page with name, photo, date of birth, and nationality clearly shown.
- Two letters of recommendation, written by former employers with contact information for checking references.
- Copy of teacher certification (optional, but HIGHLY recommended) or other relevant certifications.
- Applicant's Health Statement (after offer of employment is made, please note that drug tests have been fully reinstated by Korean immigration)
- A criminal record check certificate. Again, scan is fine for initial application.
o In order to accept the position at GIA, a criminal record certificate must be prepared in advance. Please note Federal checks are now required (not state or local municipality).
All documents can be submitted through mail or e-mail. The initial documents that must be submitted are the resume and cover letter. We recommend you start collecting the other documents as well, as the collection process can be time-consuming. It is also important for you to be up to date on the latest Korean employment and immigration rules and regulations. Therefore, we strongly advise you to please contact your nearest Korean consulate to confirm any recent changes.
Also, we invite you to visit the academy website and the foreign school website to get more information about our location, teachers, and program in advance.
Website: http://www.giaacademy.co.kr/ and gifs.or.kr
After then, if you have any more questions about our school job offer, please contact Mr. Peter Lynch (firstname.lastname@example.org). All documents and relevant materials should be emailed to Ms. Joy Kim (email@example.com).
This is a unique position, working in a truly professional environment with a chance to grow and gain experience. We expect a fair number of qualified applicants to apply, so please submit your documentation as soon as possible.
Email: Mr. Peter Lynch (firstname.lastname@example.org), Ms. Joy Kim (email@example.com)