The American School Foundation of Chiapas, A.C. is looking for an inspirational leader to be our new Upper School Principal, supporting the development of our Middle and High school programs . We are interested in people who have a genuine interest education and who value their work as a profession, not a pastime.
The successful candidate will combine an excellent track record of successful leadership experience, with strong inter-personal skills and cultural awareness with the ability to inspire the ASFC community and manage the demands and needs of all stakeholders. Exceptional communication skills combined with being a visible leader and ambassador for the school are central to this role. The role requires strategic thinking with a firm grasp of how to ensure outstanding teaching and learning across the school. Candidates must be committed to working in partnership with the local community and developing ways to engage with parents and forge effective partnerships with them. IB experience is highly preffered as well as PGCE knowledge or expertise. As Upper School principal all academic leadership and supervision should lead to greater collaboration emphazising a culture of continual development and furthered understanding of the IB programmes.
• Providing strategic direction and purposeful leadership for the staff, students and the wider ASFC community
• Modeling creative education
• Estabilishing positive relationships with students and fostering an academic and positive environment for students and staff, where coming to school is exciting for all!
• Mentoring, coaching and supporting Upper School teachers in raising the quality of learning and teaching across the school
• Monitoring and evaluating the performance of the school and the quality of teaching and learning
• Overseeing target-setting and the tracking of students’ performance
• Developing and maintaining effective links with the community including business and industry, to enhance teaching and learning
• Managing staff performance, incorporating target setting and individual development plans
• Overseeing of the academic timetable.
• Promoting and emboding School Spirit
• Ensuring classroom observations and an academic development plan are in place and fully implemented
• Working closely with directors and other colleagues to help the continuous development of the school
• Maintaining an environment that promotes and secures outstanding teaching, effective learning, high standards of achievement and good behaviour
• Promote 21 Century learning Skills and inquiry based learning
• Bilingual in English and Spanish
• BA in Education or BA Degree with relevant teaching qualification is essential
• Master in Education or PGCE preferred but not necessary
• IB experience in teaching (Highly preferred)
• Ability to establish positive working relationships with a range of stakeholders
• Ability to understand the operational and financial requirements to manage a successful school
• Strong organizational and technology skills
• Sense of humor
• Empathy and International mindedness
What we offer:
• Two year contract; starting August 2019 (it can be extended after two years)
• 8 hour work day
• Private and National Health insurance
• Housing at American School Residencies (2-bedroom apartments with kitchen, living room, dining room, and full bathroom; air conditioning, swimming pool, recreation area, laundry room, small gym, security, free Wi-Fi, in school grounds and private neighborhood
• 5 (five) weeks or more paid vacation each year and Statutory holidays (Mexican holiday calendar)
• Salary: Commensurate to experience and best paid standards for the Region.
• Round-trip airfare reimbursement per year!
• Airport pickup
• VISA processing fees and costs
• International Baccalaureate Courses and/or other PD opportunities
About the American School Foundation of Chiapas:
We offer a rich educational program, structured upon well-established curriculum guidelines from the Mexican Ministry of Education and the IB Primary Years Program. As an IB World School, we ensure a safe and thoughtful environment in which students are encouraged to grow as independent, respectful, responsible, and active citizens. We value constructivism and Multiple Intelligences as important components of the teaching/learning process. At the American School, we promote a cooperative and friendly work environment. We believe strongly in the importance of reflection, inquiry, and professional development.
We believe we teach our students to Live, Love and Learn! All learning at ASFC must exemplify our 5 Pillars: International Mindedness, Caring & Collaborative, Principled Communicators, Environmentally Cultured, Creative & Critical Thinkers; all within the framework of community values.
The American School is situated in Tuxtla Gutiérrez, the capital city of the beautiful state of Chiapas. Tuxtla is a fast growing, bustling city, alive with the vivid colors and energy of Mexico. Not far from the city are mountains, canyons, beaches, pyramids, and the ocean, just waiting to be explored. Tuxtla Gutiérrez offers delightful sunny weather all year round, delicious culinary flavors, and a culture rich in history and tradition. Here you can combine the security of access to familiar amenities with the excitement of living abroad in a Spanish-speaking community.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and a current CV (including photo) via email to: email@example.com
Please note: to apply for a visa, applicants will need to present a recently apostilled degree.
For more information, please visit our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ASFCH/
Our website (updating soon) www.americanschool.edu.mx
School grounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOmxa0NojJM
School videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsz9AqYTaLM
Chiapas Experience tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chLDuTLFauM