For our new school year, we are urgently looking for a passionate CELTA, TEFL/TESOL teacher who can empower our underprivileged students by teaching them English! JUNE 2019 start date in Indonesia.
We are a vocational hotel school, located on the pristine island of Sumba, Eastern Indonesia (NTT), one hour flight from Bali. Our main mission to drive a responsible tourism development for the island by training the youth.
Two English teachers teach 60 students 5 days/week in groups of 15 students, bringing them from basic to an advanced functional English level in 11 months. You have a chance to change their future!
All our students learn vocational skills in one core technical area (Culinary, Food & Beverage, Housekeeping, Front Office, or Spa), while learning English as a Second Language, Permaculture and Life Skills. They practice their technical skills in our integrated eco-resort (9 guest rooms on-site). When the students leave campus, they are ready to intern at 4* or 5* international resort in Indonesia.
Our bamboo campus is located near the Tambolaka (TMC) airport and town with small shops and restaurants. Several beautiful, uncrowded, pristine, white, sandy beaches with crystal blue waters are a short drive or bicycle ride away from campus. You will spend 6 days/week on campus (where you also live) but use your days off to explore the hidden gems of the island. The island is remote so travel opportunities outside the island are limited (not possible to travel on weekends).
The candidate must be able to successfully complete the following tasks, and others:
• Prepare and engage students (ages 17-23) in communicative, student centered ESL lessons, five days per week for three to six hours per day (9:00 AM to 4:30 PM)
• Provide ESL tutoring to students who are struggling with various grammar concepts during day-time Study Hall
• Occasionally monitor evening Study Halls and assist students with their assignments
• Undertake the design and development of teaching and assessment materials
• Set and mark assignments, assess and report students’ performance
• Attend teachers and professional development meetings
• Participate as an active member of our campus community which may include attending evening parties and celebrations, cycling with students to the beach, serving as the choir director, and the like
• Assist with Community English classes for local children (one hour / Monday to Friday)
• Supervise staff English course
Salary: max 750 USD/month based on qualifications
- Free living on a beautiful island: room and Board on-site provided (3 meals/day)
- Laundry service
- Free bicycle use
We are considering candidates with the following qualifications:
• TEFL/TESOL, CELTA certificate required (no online certificates)
• Six (6) months ESL teaching experience (or CELTA pass A or B)
• Ability to live on a communal and collaborative campus on a pristine and primarily undeveloped island in Southeast Asia
• Passionate about SHF’s core values of environmental awareness, community empowerment, and education
• Flexibility, resourcefulness, creativity, and adaptability are crucial. Work under the direction of the Head of Foundation and School director
• University degree
• Artistic and musical talents (choral or instrumental) and knowledge of Bahasa Indonesian
• 2 years ESL teaching experience using the communicative approach
• Any recognized qualifications based on teaching Young Learners
• Knowledge/experience of CLIL and the ability and willingness to work closely with subject teachers
TERM: The term is for min. 6 months -preferably 12 months - and may be renewed upon mutual consent. Start date is at the latest June 23, 2019.
Please send us your letter of interest, most recent CV, a recent lesson plan and a copy of your TEFL/TESOL, CELTA certificate to email@example.com.
Due to our limited HR resources, only those who are being considered for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.