Are you ready to relocate in June to Indonesia to teach English to – and change the life of – sixty underprivileged hospitality students on the beautiful island of Sumba? Then this adventurous job is for you!
The Sumba Hospitality Foundation ( www.sumbahospitalityfoundation.org ) is a vocational hotel school, located on the pristine island of Sumba, Eastern Indonesia (NTT), one hour flight from Bali. Our main mission to drive a responsible tourism development for the island by training the youth.
For our new school year, we are urgently looking for a passionate CELTA, TEFL/TESOL teacher who can empower our students. Start date is 23 June 2019 at the latest.
Together with another English teacher, you will teach 60 students 5 days/week in groups of 15 students, bringing them from basic to an advanced functional English level in 11 months. You have a chance to change their future!
All our students learn vocational skills in one core technical area (Culinary, Food & Beverage, Housekeeping, Front Office, or Spa), while learning English as a Second Language, Permaculture and Life Skills. They practice their technical skills in our integrated eco-resort (9 guest rooms on-site). When the students leave campus, they are ready to intern at 4* or 5* international resort in Indonesia.
Our bamboo campus is located near the Tambolaka (TMC) airport and town with small shops and restaurants. Several beautiful, uncrowded, pristine, white, sandy beaches with crystal blue waters are a short drive or bicycle ride away from campus. You will spend 6 days/week on campus (where you also live) but use your days off to explore the hidden gems of the island.
We are considering candidates with the following qualifications:
• TEFL/TESOL, CELTA certificate required (no online certificates)
• Six (6) months ESL teaching experience (or CELTA pass A or B)
• Ability to live on a communal and collaborative campus on a pristine and primarily
undeveloped island in Southeast Asia
• Passionate about SHF’s core values of environmental awareness, community
empowerment, and education
• Flexibility, resourcefulness, creativity, and adaptability are crucial. Work under the
direction of the Head of Foundation and School director
• University degree
• Artistic and musical talents (choral or instrumental) and knowledge of Bahasa Indonesian
• 2 years ESL teaching experience using the communicative approach
• Any recognized qualifications based on teaching Young Learners.
• Knowledge/experience of CLIL and the ability and willingness to work closely with subject teachers
The candidate must be able to successfully complete the following tasks, and others:
• Prepare and engage students (ages 17-23) in communicative, student centered ESL lessons, five days per week for three to six hours per day (9:00 AM to 4:30 PM)
• Provide ESL tutoring to students who are struggling with various grammar concepts during day-time Study Hall
• Occasionally monitor evening Study Halls and assist students with their assignments
• Undertake the design and development of teaching and assessment materials
• Set and mark assignments, assess and report students’ performance
• Attend teachers and professional development meetings
• Participate as an active member of our campus community which may include attending evening parties and celebrations, cycling with students to the beach, serving as the choir director, and the like.
• Assist with Community English classes for local children (one hour / Monday to Friday)
• Supervise staff English course
• Term: min 6 months, max 12 months. Start on 23 June 2019 at the latest.
• Monthly allowance of USD 750 max. based on qualifications
• Annual travel allowance of USD 1000
• International health insurance
• Room and board provided on campus (3 meals/day, laundry service)
Please send to email@example.com:
- Your CV and short cover letter outlining your motivation to join our project
- A recent lesson plan you made that reflects your personal teaching style
- A copy of your TEFL/TESOL, CELTA certificate
Due to our limited HR capabilities, only those who are being considered for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.