We are looking for volunteer teachers to deliver English classes to refugees and asylum seekers in Ioannina and the Epirus region. The ideal candidate(s) will have experience teaching English as a foreign/second language and will possess a strong understanding of or passion for the context they work in (refugee crisis). Experience delivering educational activities to vulnerable populations is a strong advantage.
Key duties -
• Delivering daily classes to the population at assigned site
• Preparing class materials
• Ensuring student engagement and progress
• Working closely with the Programme Manager to ensure the programme is being delivered to the expected standards of Second Tree
START DATE: FLEXIBLE
• Degree in teaching
• TEFL certificate
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, multi-level classroom
• Ability to work independently and in a team
• Ability to meet deadlines and manage own workload
• Ability to work in a high-intensity environment
• flexible attitude and approach to teaching and classroom management
• Strong communication and inter-personal skills
• Strong writing skills
• Ability to communicate in an open, honest, direct manner
Desired, but not essential -
• Experience working in the refugee context
• Experience working with vulnerable populations
At Second Tree we cherish the relation that every teacher creates with their students. This is especially true in a refugee context, where gaining students’ trust and having a thorough knowledge of their needs is crucial to their learning. For this reason, we only offer the position of Lead Teacher to volunteers that can commit to at least two months. Short-term volunteers can help as Assistant Teachers. As space is limited, and Lead Teachers are vital to the continuation of the program, we prioritize long-term volunteers.
For Long-Term Volunteers: if you are staying with us for at least 2 and a half months, we offer free accommodation with all the basic amenities (WiFi, heating, laundry, kitchen) covered in a shared team house, and offer and/or cover transportation for work-related activities;
For Short-Term Volunteers: if you are staying with us between 3 weeks and 2 months, we might be able to put you in contact with individuals providing cheap accommodation (approx. 5€/day). In case there are empty spaces in the team house, you are welcome to stay there, but priority will be given to long-term volunteers.
Please send the following to the email address provided -
• Cover letter
• Copy of your qualifications
When you email, please also provide the following -
• ESL Teacher Candidate (eslbase.com) in the subject line
• Specify the dates you’ll be able to volunteer
If the application meets all requirements, you’ll hear back from the employer within 48 hours.