Due to the prolonged effects of the Covid-19 situation, Westgate needs to be flexible regarding the type of teaching we are able to provide. Based on societal needs and/or those of our client schools, lessons in the University Program, Young Learners Program, and Secondary School English Program, might to be delivered on campus/at school, online, or perhaps even a combination of the two.
Lessons will be held according to regular on-campus hours in Japan, such as between 9:00 and 18:00 (Japan Standard Time), regardless of whether they are held on campus or online.
Considering the above, we are looking for the following applicants for the Fall 2020 term:
- Those who live in Japan already and would be willing to work remotely and on-campus if needed.
- Those who live outside Japan at the moment but would be willing to work remotely despite the time difference and to come to Japan if needed.
Please refer to the information on our website for the general conditions of our programs. If the immigration/travel restrictions are lifted before the Fall 2020 term, we may ask you to come to Japan. In such case, we will give you more details about flight arrangement conditions and reimbursement at that time.
In order to be able to teach for Westgate online, you would need to meet the following requirements.
- Internet speed of 1.5Mbps (=1500Kbps) or faster, 3Mbps or faster preferred
- Microsoft Windows 10
- May 2019 Update  (or newer); or Apple macOS Mojave 10.14.6 (or newer) (If you are using another OS, you would be asked to check with us to confirm whether it is ok or not)
- Microsoft Edge; Google Chrome; or Apple Safari 13 (or newer)
- Valid and active anti-virus software - Web camera and microphone
- Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
* You would also need to agree to install applications that are required by Westgate. If an applicant does not meet the requirements above, we may not be able to make a hiring decision.
***** UNIVERSITY PROGRAM *****
1) PROGRAM INFORMATION:
We are seeking highly motivated educators to teach English at universities in Japan. This unique opportunity is for bright teachers eager to enrich their teaching skills while realizing the dream of exploring a foreign country.
- University graduate with a bachelor's and/or more advanced degree, plus one of the following:
- a) experience teaching EFL/ESL in a classroom environment, along with a teaching certificate (TEFL/TESL/TESOL) and/or teaching credentials or qualifications (elementary/primary/secondary)
- b) 1000+ hours of EFL/ESL classroom teaching experience in lieu of teaching certificates, credentials or qualifications
* No Japanese language ability is required.
3) CONTRACT PERIOD:
- Spring Term
Extra-Curricular Courses: late April/early May to late July (approx. 3 months)
Accredited Courses: late March/early April to late July (approx. 3-5 months)
- Fall Term
Extra-Curricular Courses: mid-/late September to late December (approx. 3 months)
Accredited Courses: early/mid- September to late December/late January (approx. 3-5 months)
Tokyo, Kanagawa, Chiba, Saitama, and Aichi
- Approximately 260,000 yen per month for instructors with a teaching certificate or qualification, but less than 499 hours of actual classroom teaching experience
- Approximately 275,000 yen per month or more for instructors with a teaching certificate or qualification who have 500+ hours of actual classroom teaching experience
- Approximately 275,000 yen per month or more for instructors who have 1000+ hours of actual classroom teaching experience in lieu of teaching qualifications
*Note: Compensation is based on an hourly rate of pay. Exact monthly earnings fluctuate but over the course of a contract period average out to the figures listed above.
- HOUSING is provided. We can arrange a furnished single apartment with a rental fee of 81,000 yen per month (utilities and maintenance fees included).
- FLIGHT REIMBURSEMENT of up to 1200 USD is offered for those coming from overseas.
- WORKING VISA SPONSORSHIP is available.
- RENEWABLE contract.
**** ATTENTION ****
We are also looking for candidates with the following background and experience:
- Master's degree or higher
- Total 3 years’ experience (6 or more terms/semesters) in teaching at university/community college (all subjects)
Westgate aims to shape the future of English education in Japan. We have been providing conversation-based practical English lessons since 1983 and hire over 400 instructors every year. Generations of Japanese students have developed their communicative English skills and cultural awareness on our programs. As well as helping to shape the direction of our students’ lives and careers, we have also been a gateway to career development for countless English instructors around the world.
Find out more about Westgate at https://www.westgatejapan.com/
HOW TO APPLY:
Please visit our website and fill out the online application form. We will contact you by email shortly after you have completed the form. You can also find more information about our programs and policies on our website.