Location: Galapagos, Ecuador
Position: ESL Instructor
Starting dates: November 2016, January 2017, March 2017
Interview: As soon as possible
• Seeking energetic, motivated, proactive, creative and flexible English teachers in one of the most unique places in the world – the Galápagos Islands! Become part of an internationally diverse faculty and staff at the Universidad San Francisco de Quito (USFQ) Galápagos in Santa Cruz or in San Cristóbal. The University’s popular English program has been operating on San Cristóbal Island for over ten years, and has recently opened a new Language Institute on Santa Cruz, the most-populated island of the archipelago. We provide English as a Foreign Language classes to children, high school students, traditional university students (completion of our English program is a requirement for students at USFQ), as well as adult community members (typically National Park guides, doctors, policemen and women, researchers or tour operators).
As part of our ESL program, you will teach a maximum of five classes a day and 25 in-class hours a week. Teachers are also required to schedule one office hour every week and assist in the planning/execution of extra-curricular activities. During your 6-month contract, you’ll teach a variety of classes to children (ages 8-11), teenagers (ages 12-16), and adults (ages 17 and up). A myriad of teaching styles welcomed, all lesson planning will be based on Pearson textbooks and materials. Classrooms are equipped with projectors and white boards, and basic art supplies and materials are provided.
Applicants must be able to pay all round-trip travel expenses to the Galapagos, after successful completion of your 6-month contract, your national flights (Quito to the islands) will be reimbursed up to $300 as a bonus. Here on the islands we have free access to basic healthcare, but if so desired, you will have to pay for your own travel medical insurance. USFQ will cover the cost, documentation and all legalities required to obtain your visa.
• Native English speaker
• Bachelor's degree
• TEFL/CELTA/TESOL certificate
• At least 1 year of prior teaching experience
• Conversational Spanish skills
An interest in Ecuadorian culture
While you are considered a volunteer due to your visa status, and therefore not allowed to volunteer or work in any other institution or agency during your teaching contract. Occasionally there are opportunities to earn additional income by tutoring or teaching additional classes.
• A monthly salary of approximately USD $690.00
• Free accommodation in Dorm or fully furnished house (both include shared kitchen facilities)
• Free Access to basic health care
How to Apply
Please send the following materials to Indira Espín at: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Cover letter
• Copies of Bachelor's degree and TEFL/CELTA/TESOL certificate
2 professional references (related to your teaching experience)
Check us out on facebook: Instituto de Idiomas GAIAS